Top Tips for Employee Engagement
12th March 2019
Using Health & Safety as a leadership lever:
Do you struggle to implement change into your organisation?
Are you concerned with the lack of productivity and growth in your company?
Consider developing your Health & Safety approach to engage employees on a range of business challenges:
- Selling ideas on logic alone rarely works, it only accesses one part of the brain!
- Making a personal connection is key – consider how you feel first and then how you think.
- Extend Health & Safety discussions to personal wellbeing including family and friends. The WIIFM (What’s In It For Me) becomes clear.
- Consistent clarity on the way forward is critical – if employees can see the road ahead in the form of a company vision, they will feel more assured.
- Leverage the ‘Halo effect’ – some topics are difficult to personalise, eg. integrating a new expenses system. If you have gained buy-in via H&S, then inspire participation through that goodwill.
- When employees feel listened to, focus areas are identified that are both good for individuals and good for the company.
- People can see how it develops them and allows them to grow.
Using Health & Safety as a leadership lever will generate engaged employees on any topic with open minds to listen and participate.